Search

Friday, March 8, 2013

Chocolate Chip Mousse

Recently I've been experimenting with coconut milk in my recipes after reading about it's health benefits. I came across this chocolate mousse recipe on Pinterest. That particular Pinterester (is that a word?) also uses this recipe as a cupcake frosting...mmmm. I haven't tried it on a cupcake yet but I will!


Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Use a can of coconut milk that has been sitting (untouched) in your cabinet for a day or two ( you need the milk to separate from the water in the can). Open the can and place it in the fridge over night (this causes the milk to thicken at the top of the can). Scoop out the thick coconut milk into a bowl (save the coconut water for another recipe). Add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and blend until it's the consistency of mousse. Top with chocolate chips and enjoy!

Note: It is very important not to shake the can. If the coconut milk did not separate and you decide to use it anyway than it will be more like pudding and less like mousse. And you will probably want to add more sugar.

The first time I made this it turned out wonderful and delicious but the second time I made it the milk did not separate. It could have been because I came strait from the grocery store and put the can in the fridge and it thickened before it had time to separate. Or because I used a different brand and some manufacturers use a thickening agent to keep the milk from separating in the can. I made the recipe anyway and to be honest I did not like it as much. The next time I get a can that does not separate I think I will skip the mousse and make a banana and coconut milk smoothie.

I bet you could use a can of coconut cream instead of the coconut milk (if you have tried it let me know). Did you try this recipe? Did your mousse turn out ok? Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts.

0 comments:

Post Message...

 
Blogging tips